Homeschooling in Texas has a basic set of rules and regulations determined by Texas court. If you are on of those who has chosen to homeschool in Texas, you would need to know these rules and regulations. In this post, I will be guiding you through the exacts steps you need to follow in order to get started with homeschooling in texas.
Basically Texas courts has determined the home schools to be private schools. In case you don’t know, private schools are not regulated by the state of Texas. That’s why it is often said that the laws in Texas are one of the most favorable for homeschooling in the entire United States.
People in Texas are more free to determine the course of their children education than anywhere else in the US. And that’s the reason why Texas has the maximum number of homeschoolers.
Texas State Law Requirements Regarding Homeschool Texas
In order to home school legally in your state, Texas you must follow the below mentioned laws. These are the state law requirements for homeschooling.
- First things first. The instructions must be Real(aka bona fide) and not false (i.e. sham).
- Second, The curriculum must be in a visual form which includes books, videos, workbooks etc.
- Third and the last rule is that the curriculum must include the five basic subjects of reading, spelling, mathematics, grammar and good citizenship. All five are a must.
So, above were the three rules you must follow in order to do homeschooling in texas legally. No excuses are entertained if you don’t follow them.
How Free Actually are you to do Homeschooling in Texas?
I keep getting this query from my readers. Even after knowing all the laws, they are a bit skeptical about this topic. Recently, I found a very good video which takes you in a great detail about this topic. I have shared the video above. Have a look.
How to Homeschool in Texas
Once you have gone through it and are ready to start your homeschooling, there are a few decisions you need to make. First of all you would need to choose a curriculum you would be following in your homeschooling.
The curriculum you choose could be free as well as paid. One of the best curriculum i have came across is easy peasy homeschool. It has been prepared by a homeschooling mom named Lee Giles and is completely free to use.
There are many reasons why I find it to be the best among the lot. Here are a few of them:
- You can avail the service at free of cost means they are freely available.
- Offers the service online means you can do all things online, there is no need to go anywhere since all materials you can use online.
- You can customize your course according to your need if you are not comfortable with any of the subject or if you are the thing to upgrade your levels.
Now that you have all the information you need about homeschooling in Texas, it’s time to actually go ahead and start it. Drop in a comment if you have any doubts. I would be more than happy to help. You may have a look at the The Texas Education Agency Official site too
Legal disclaimer: Here at this page, I have provided suggestions on how once can meet the mandatory homeschooling laws in Texas. It is not intended and should not be used as definitive legal advice.